Technical Support – Storage & Backup
Job Type : Permanent, Full Time
We are SCC – Specialist Computer Centres – Europe’s leading provider of IT services and solutions. Demand for our Data Centre services continue to grow both from existing and new customers creating a real career opportunity for a talented individual to join us at our Birmingham Data Centre as a Storage and Backup Engineer.
The Storage & Backup Engineer will be responsible for the maintenance, monitoring and troubleshooting of the storage infrastructure both within SCC DCS Client Base and SCC Cloud Solutions.
· Provide remote technical support to customer Storage and Backup environments within contractual Service Level Agreements
· Managing incidents, problems and changes appropriately within agreed service levels to resolution
· Perform root cause analysis on recurring incidents
· Assist with service transition process for new customers or solutions
· Creating and updating technical documentation to professional standards
· Providing documentation and knowledge transfer to offshore support teams
· Identify technical problems and potential Service Improvements across customers Storage and Backup Environments
· Contributing to delivering Technical excellence across the Storage and Backup team
· Responsible for ensuring all clients are backed-up in line with SLA and Service Schedules
· Ensure correct configuration of all SAN and NAS components, including, but not limited, to, EMC VNX, HP 3PAR, IBM V7000 and NetApp FAS also including SAN Switch
· Identify, Contribute and work towards the technical and service goals defined by DCS management
Attributes of Successful Candidate
· Excellent hands-on technical expertise
· Determined and proactive, can-do attitude
· Ability to work on own as well as part of a team
· Attention to detail and strong work ethic
· Familiarity of ITIL concepts and best practice
· Excellent organisation skills
· Professional and presentable at all times.
· Ability to handle difficult and demanding customer environments.
· Previous support experience with Storage and Backup solutions in an enterprise class environment.
· Willing to work additional hours as required to resolve incidents or implement changes
Skills Knowledge & Experience
The ideal candidate will be self-motivated with a track record of working with a datacentre technology stack and an appreciation of technical support and operations. Experience of working in a fast paced, dynamic environment with a can-do attitude and able to handle work with multiple customers and projects. Candidate must have experience of working in a large multi-client solution provider with a rapidly expanding customer base. Ability to Provide Technical guidance to 2nd line engineers. Ready to provide out-of-hours support as required.
· Strong background with core network, compute and storage technologies in large-scale deployments
· Minimum 5 years’ experience providing support to enterprise level clients
· Appropriate certifications or experience in core technology platforms
o 2 or more Storage Technologies
o 2 or more Backup Technologies
o 1 or more SAN Technologies
· Demonstrated knowledge and experience with a verity of SAN, NAS, and tape technologies
o HP 3PAR / EVA / MSA Storage Platforms
o IBM SVC / V-Series Storage Platforms
o EMC VNX
o NetApp FAS
o Storage Area Networks (Brocade/Cisco/Qlogic)
o IBM Spectrum Protect (TSM)
o HP Data Protector
· Ability to troubleshoot complex, technical, multi-site and multi-disciplinary problems and incidents
· Knowledge of data protection technologies, including deduplication, replication and encryption
· Knowledge of Backup, SAN, NAS, DAS, and scale out storage systems
· Ability to use the Service Desk tool to manage incidents/changes/problems tickets
· Monitor and pro-actively identify any potential SAN performance issues
· Review capacity and system performance data, predicting trends and potential issues
· Ability to work efficiently, prioritise workflow and meet demanding deadlines in a fast-paced environment
· Ability to communicate effectively with internal/external stakeholders and customers
· Experience of working in a multi-client solutions provider
· Working knowledge of Cloud storage management
· Knowledge of hardware, operating systems, storage, network, middleware, databases, and virtualization technologies.
· Ability to create and maintain automation scripts
At SCC, we take the privacy and security of your information very seriously, any information we hold will be in accordance with current data protection legislation.
- Address Birmingham, West Midlands (County)