Junior Data Designer
Job Type : Permanent, Full Time
Junior Data Designer
Location: Oxford OX1 1XX, UK (though staff are working remotely during lockdown)
Salary: £25K per annum with a 6-month probationary period
Contract: Full time, Permanent, 37.5 hours per week
About the position – Junior Data Designer:
Global Water Intelligence is looking for a brilliant graduate who is both creative and numerate, and who is ready to begin a career in a fast-growing new field. It is a field created by the fact that people need to understand ever more complex ideas but have less and less time for reading.
It means that more and more of the information we consume is in a visual form. Those few people who are bright enough to be able to assimilate data, understand the stories it tells, and express that intelligence so that others can understand it at a single glance will be the rulers of this new world.
It is not a job that really exists today, and we are looking for a special kind of person. Someone who is interested in design, but who is also inspired by the intellectual challenge of understanding the complex ideas that grow out of the data and refining that into a clear visual message. You might have studied art for A Level, have a hobby interest in graphic design or drawing but then studied for a science degree. Alternatively, you might have done well at maths A Level, but gone on to study design or another arts degree. Either way, you will need to be able to show that you are bright and that you are excited by the possibilities of visual communication.
For the right candidate we can offer the first step in a career which is guaranteed to be highly in demand, with opportunities opening out across the media as the world becomes more time poor and information rich. Though we are currently working remotely during lockdown, we remain a close-knit group in which autonomy, creativity and new ideas are welcome. As part of our team, you will be encouraged to take the opportunity to grow and develop within the company.
The role – Junior Data Designer:
You will work closely alongside our development team, content team and marketing team, and your responsibilities will include:
* Communicating effectively with a variety of team members, in different departments, to understand their needs and how best to support them with visual content.
* Supporting the production team and Production Manager with daily tasks.
* Creating designs and layouts for in-house digital and print projects.
* Website design, with a focus on front-end design, interactivity and usability.
* Visualising data to create engaging information graphics.
* Actively working to improve the user interface (UI) and user experience (UX) of our products.
* Thinking creatively to solve design challenges and improve production processes.
* Maintaining a strong brand identity across our products.
* General daily tasks such as typesetting and working with technical content, illustrations, picture research, and effective file management.
The following qualities are essential in a successful candidate:
* A problem-solving attitude, with a willingness to tackle different challenges and learn on the job.
* Excellent written and verbal communication skills, and a keen attention to detail.
* Time management skills and the ability to balance multiple ongoing projects.
* Working effectively using the most appropriate and practical visual solutions.
* Knowledge of Adobe InDesign, Illustrator and Photoshop or be able to demonstrate your creative talents using other tools.
The following qualities would be desirable in a successful candidate:
* Experience with, or an interest in developing skills in UX and UI.
* Experience with, or an interest in developing skills in interactive data visualisation creation using tools such as QGIS, Highcharts, Plotly, ggplot2 or D3.
* Experience with web technologies (HTML, CSS, JS and SVG) would be advantageous.
* Experience automating InDesign and Illustrator through the use of ExtendScript and XML would be advantageous.
Global Water Intelligence is an ambitious company with around 70 employees spread between Oxford, Austin (Texas) and Shanghai. It publishes market-leading magazines, databases, and reports on the international water industry. Additionally, it runs a series of successful events.
It has a unique corporate culture which can be summed up as follows:
* We are global: our market is totally international, and we need to reflect that. We travel a lot and around 40% of our staff don’t come from the UK.
* We work for each other: we do work hard, but not out of fear or greed. It is because we care for each other and it lightens the load of everyone if we all pull together.
* We balance the commercial with the idealistic: We are passionately committed to addressing the world’s water challenges, but we can only do what we do because we are a profitable business.
GWI employees are enrolled on a company pension plan and receive a holiday allowance of 25 days per year. When travel is once again allowed, there will be opportunities for you to be sent to relevant training courses and conferences that help you to develop within your role, and to attend our Global Water Summit which is held in different cities across the world each year.
How to apply:
Please click on “APPLY” today, submitting a well-designed CV and a covering letter.
The way you present your CV will give us an idea of how imaginatively you can express yourself in visual terms and the covering letter should explain why you think you would be good at the job.
Your CV will not be considered without a covering letter.
No agencies please
- Address OX1, Oxford, Oxfordshire