Structural Packaging Designer
Job Type : Permanent, Full Time
Salary : £28000 – £33000/annum
Are you a champion of eco-friendly design and packaging? If so, we have a fantastic opportunity for a Structural Packaging Designer. 28-33k with 25 days holiday, free parking and a 4pm finish on Fridays! Please note, applicants who have less experience (even packaging graduates) or more years of experience than what's listed below, will also be considered.
As the Structural Packaging Designer, you will be responsible for the design, development and implementation of both retail and transit packaging for new and existing product categories with a focus on waste reduction. This role will enable the successful individual to drive packaging design to not only ensure that it's cost effective, manufacturable and functional, but that designs fulfil our client's environmental responsibilities to reduce total packaging consumption and waste.
The successful individual will have a passion for the environment because our client's vision is to eventually have 100% plastic free packaging for their products. So, if you want to play your part in reducing the use of plastic in the environment, then please read on…
As the Structural Packaging Designer you will:
• Undertake the design, development and implementation of both retail and transit packaging for new and existing products
• Ensure that packaging is simple to manufacture and assemble, cost effective, capable of carrying out its core function of protecting a product from damage in transit, and is designed to take into account advances in sustainable materials
• Consider legislative requirements to ensure that packaging environmental and legal responsibilities are fulfilled
• Setting a programme of reviewing all packaging used on existing products that ensures the above requirements are met. Where necessary consider a “remove” or “replace” philosophy
• Liaise with all stakeholders and departments ensuring compliance externally/internally with Vendors/Customers to determine design viability and suitability
• Introduce and implement where applicable new innovations/technologies that ensures the business is at the forefront of environmentally friendly packaging
• Carry out physical testing of packaging and supervise and control ‘off site’ testing
• Implement continuous improvement.
To succeed as the Structural Packaging Designer you will need:
• Minimum 3 years relevant packaging experience
• Knowledge of ISTA packaging standards
• Technical understanding and ability to design packaging structures for 1) small to large products 2) fragile and breakable products 3) unusual and awkwardly shaped products
• High level of competency in appropriate packaging design software and packaging manufacturing processes
• Ability to create cutter guides and manufacture prototypes using a cutting plotter
• Keeps abreast with new packaging innovation and technologies
• Demonstrable problem solving skills
• A hands on approach and the ability to create hand cut prototype designs
• The ability to convey information clearly and concisely
• An understanding and appreciation of sustainable packaging design and the importance of adopting a “cradle to grave” approach
• Experience in mail order packaging is desirable
• An eye for detail and be someone who strives for perfection
Associated Benefits you'll enjoy as the Structural Packaging Designer:
• 28-33k pa – salary flexible depending on experience
• Mon-Thurs 8:30am – 5:15pm; Fri – 4pm finish
• Friendly team
• 25 days holiday plus bank holidays
• Company Pension Scheme
• Staff Discount Scheme on all Company products
• Free on-site parking
HOW DO YOU APPLY?
In the first instance please call us and chat to one of our friendly team about this role and other opportunities we may have available.
Alternatively you can submit your CV. However, if you have not heard from a Consultant within 5 days, please assume that your application has been unsuccessful for this particular role.
- Address SP10, Andover, Hampshire