Corporate Affairs Manager
Job Type : Permanent, Full Time
Salary : £48060 – £56374/annum +Car/Car Allowance+Bonus+Benefits
Experienced Corporate Affairs Manager?
You can help create a greener UK
A greener, more environmentally-friendly UK is possible – and we’re making it happen.
As a Corporate Affairs Manager at SUEZ recycling and recovery UK, you’ll be contributing to an ever growing established company that’s helping customers reduce their impact on the environment, conserve natural resources and reduce landfill.
What will I be doing?
* Operating across the public and private sectors, and serving millions of customers every day, SUEZ has a wide and diverse range of stakeholders – from politicians, regulators and the media to business directors, academics and householders.
* The Corporate Affairs Manager for the South is responsible for formally managing many of these relationships, by devising and implementing the corporate affairs strategy for our large Southern region, which spans from the Midlands to Cornwall in the South West and Kent in the South East – encompassing London too.
* Across the business, SUEZ is undergoing a dramatic transformation to help the United Kingdom become more resource-efficient, by replacing traditional waste disposal methods, such as landfill, with a host of new technologies and services designed to extract the maximum value from the things we throw away, thereby also conserving natural resources.
* As a senior member of the communications team, telling this story and influencing others to play their part in transitioning to a more circular economy is key to the role of Corporate Affairs Manager.
* Operating with a high degree of autonomy, the Corporate Affairs Manager develops and drives delivery of a comprehensive corporate affairs strategy for the region – aligning the communications needs of internal and external stakeholders, at all levels, and integrating public policy, public relations and internal communications activities.
* A key function of the role is to protect the reputation of SUEZ across the region, among both stakeholders and the general public. This involves not only managing communications issues, but also anticipating and reporting on reputational risks before they occur, by being the eyes and ears of the organisation via a wide-ranging internal and external network of contacts.
* Further to this, the Corporate Affairs Manager monitors, measures and evaluates the success of communications activity in their region using appropriate, objective, tools.
* The Corporate Affairs Manager develops, and maintains, relationships with key journalists, influencers, politicians and sector peers across the region, and where required, will also provide expert communications advice to high-profile clients – helping them to develop and implement communications strategies around our service offering. Furthermore, the Corporate Affairs Manager will also support internal communications campaigns to engage and involve the thousands of people working for SUEZ across the southern region.
* The person in this role must stay abreast of relevant public policy issues within the region and keep the wider business informed of developments as appropriate. Similarly, the Corporate Affairs Manager is expected to maintain continual professional development and apply professional best practice to their work.
* In addition to being a credible spokesperson for SUEZ, and the principle point of contact for media enquires in their region, the Corporate Affairs Manager identifies, trains and coaches suitable spokespeople within the company for media interviews and public speaking engagements.
* The role reports to the Senior Corporate Affairs Manager and is responsible for a team of six people – with direct line management of four Community Liaison Managers/Communications Managers associated with SUEZ’s long-term contracts with Cornwall Council, Suffolk County Council, Surrey County Council and Somerset Waste Partnership.
* The position would be located at our UK Head Office in Maidenhead with regular travel around the region.
What are the requirements?
* The successful Corporate Affairs Manager applicant will be a leader, strategic thinker and excellent communicator. Through experience and aptitude, they will be comfortable advising both SUEZ, and high-profile clients, from board level to shop floor, while operating with a high degree of autonomy.
* The Corporate Affairs Manager must be able to see the bigger picture for the region and have the enthusiasm, drive and passion to engage and involve other senior managers in development of the Corporate Affairs Strategy.
* Excellent diplomacy skills and political insight is essential, as is the ability to build a large and effective network of internal and external contacts.
* Calm and level-headed in a crisis, the Corporate Affairs Manager must be able to give considered and expert professional advice in challenging and often rapidly-changing situations. They should be in experienced media relations and an excellent ambassador for the business.
* The person in this role must take an engaged and active interest in the recycling and resource management sector, relevant policy issues and wider associated industry developments. While experience in this sector is preferable, it is not essential as long as the candidate can demonstrate a depth of knowledge earned through formal and informal learning in their current sector.
* The ideal candidate will be an experienced Corporate Affairs or Public Relations manager with at least 10-years’ experience in a similar role, either in-house or in an agency. The candidate would preferably have experience in the B2B private sector and environmental services sector, but this is not essential. Furthermore, the ideal candidate would have prior experience of successfully managing a small team and will have a demonstrable track record of communications strategy formation and delivery.
* Ideally, the candidate will hold accreditation with either the Chartered Institute of Public Relations (CIPR) or Public Relations and Communications Associations (PRCA) and be able to demonstrate continual professional development in their career to date.
* Applicants must be willing to travel extensively across the region, as required, and will therefore need to hold a valid UK driver’s licence.
Who are we?
At SUEZ the efficient and sustainable management of resources around the globe is at the heart of everything we do. Respect – acting ethically and with integrity – is one of our core values. We’re passionate about the environment and believe in protecting our world. Over 90,000 likeminded people worldwide makes for an incredible team, where collaboration and trust are part of the way we work. With true team spirit, we can give our customers a standard of service that goes above and beyond and ensure that our local communities have access to essential water and waste services
We thank our people for all they do with development opportunities, wide-ranging benefits and rewards that reflect their hard work. In a friendly, supportive environment, you’ll be inspired to grow and play your part in creating a better future for all.
**No agencies please
- Address SL6, Maidenhead, Royal Borough of Windsor and Maidenhead