Job Type : Permanent, Full Time
Salary : £35000 – £55000/annum
New role in London: Contracts Manager with Horticultural/Landscaping and Construction Experience
An award winning, top-tier landscaping company in the heart of London needs you!
Job title CONTRACTS MANAGER – Salary Dependent on Experience – up to £50k+ [W/SW/Central London]
Responsibility for overseeing the day-to-day operations of multiple construction projects. This includes liaising with each
of the Project Managers, anticipating their and the project needs in terms of programme,
procurement, quality control, etc. and have an overall vision of all operational matters to deputise as appropriate
for the Construction Director. In addition, the Contracts Manager will be assigned specific projects,
for which they will act in a Project Manager capacity with responsibility for leading and delivering on time,
within budget to specified quality standards and client requirements.
Accountable to; Division Construction Director
Accountable for Site Managers / Project Managers / Site Teams (for day-to-day operations)
Key Result Areas
– Project planning
– Operational cost control
– Customer satisfaction
– Safety and prevention, planning and control
– Quality control
– Project Planning – In conjunction with the Construction Director, agree direction of
build and locations for compounds and storage. – Identify critical path issues such as services and put plans in place to
meet key dates. – Identify in advance a schedule of information required to meet the
build programme and circulate as necessary.
– Build Programme – In conjunction with the Construction Director, produce build
programmes and monitor and review with Site or Project Managers to ensure adherence to programmes.
– Carry out a minimum of one weekly visit to each site. – Liaise with the Construction Director and Quantity Surveyor on the
appointment of suitable sub-contractors and suppliers to ensure adequate resources and expertise to
achieve required quality within agreed time-scales.
– Identify any issues affecting programme delivery and resolve to meet required time-scales.
– Monitor level of work in progress and materials on site working closely with site manager.
– Build Quality – Monitor and inspect developments regularly to ensure that all quality
control procedures are being adhered to and that the highest standards of build are being achieved.
– Carry out a minimum of one monthly Site Inspection to all sites.
– Build Costs – Ensure full awareness of site budget and monthly valuations carried
out on each project. – Ensure full awareness of what each sub-contractor has priced against
each Trade Specification. – Meet each sub-contractor together with Quantity Surveyor to establish that all items of
work are covered within the tender price. –
Liaise with the Construction Director to ensure site and build costs
are being controlled within budget. – Review all extra costs and variation orders to minimise cost whilst
ensuring programme and quality is achieved.
– People – Liaise with the HR Manager in recruitment of site management and
permanent staff and ensure new starter's induction plans are reviewed and completed within laid down time-scales
– Lead, motivate, communicate with, develop, appraise and performance manage staff to ensure they are fully
motivated to achieve best performance to meet the company's needs .
– Ensure the teams run in accordance with Company Policies and Procedures.
– Ensure poor performance is not tolerated and liaise with the HR Manager to ensure it is remedied via support,
training or disciplinary action as appropriate.
– Liaise with the Construction Director and HR Manager in a timely fashion on all employment issues and matters as
– Health & Safety – Before a site commences, prepare a layout of the new development
showing traffic management plans, security of the site and protection of the public
– Comply with responsibilities as laid down in the PCs Policy to ensure a safe working environment for employees
– Review specific training needs with the HR Manager and ensure appropriate training throughout the teams.
– Follow up and action external H&S audit and quality control visits.
– Waste Management – Responsible for implementing the company's waste management
policy across all developments with the specified regional area.
– Customer Service – Ensure full understanding of Policy and Procedures both pre and post
legal completion. – Monitor and continually review the quality being produced to ensure
that at all stages of construction the highest standards are being achieved
– In liaison with the Construction Director, review services to customers, both pre and post legal completion,
to deliver the highest standard of customer satisfaction
– Ensure fully aware of each months customer survey results and discuss with the relevant site teams picking up
on any trends, both positive and negative.
– Communication – Ensure all communication is recorded and transmitted in the
appropriate written fashion – Represent and defend the Company's position at all levels, from
employees to customers, sub-contractors and suppliers. – Attend meetings as required, including pre-start briefings, meetings
with Contractors and Subcontractors and end-of-project reviews, and follow up with meeting minutes or action plan email
– Act as a liaison between the construction teams and senior management.
– Own projects – Responsible for the project cost control, from procurement through
to construction, ensuring financial targets are met for each package of works
– Produce fully detailed construction programmes and ensure compliance through weekly meetings and discussions
on a continual basis with Site Supervisors, Principal Contractor, client representatives, etc.
– Liaise with the design team and consultants on all technical construction aspects of the project delivery, comment
on workshop drawings an d details and advise of any inconsistencies or inappropriate works
– Procure materials in accordance with the specification – Advise of any discrepancies between specification, drawings and
budget to iron out any financial inconsistencies – Ensure construction in accordance with the specification and drawings –
Oversee change orders and the issuing of variations, site instructions,
CVIs, CAIs and discuss with the Company Quantity Surveyor and Construction Director
– Ensure compliance of the works to the CDM Regulations for the project works
– Advise and report to the Company Quantity Surveyor and
Construction Director on cost changes and variations in a timely
fashion and update the project financial sheets accordingly
– Ensure payment certificates are received by the certification date for each project
– Resolve disputes with subcontractors over quality and financial inconsistencies; complete
snagging reports and final sign off/nonconformity sheets
– Report to the Directors on all aspects of project performance
– Write and issue Method Statements, Risk Assessments, inspection plans and liaise with
employer/client in relation to key performance indicators
– Write and issue Operations and Maintenance Manuals at the end of each project
– Be responsible for compliance with Quality Assurance procedures in
accordance with ISOI 9001 certification
Requirements & Qualifications
– Proven capability of managing multiple construction projects in parallel
– People skills – Team leading – confidence to provide clear direction and inspire those around you, promptly
and efficiently addressing personnel issues and training and development needs
– Experience managing multiple teams in multiple locations – Excellent and effective communication skills at all levels –
Relationship-building – effective stakeholder management, both internally and external to the organisation, and
ability to liaise comfortably with clients, sub-contractors and suppliers
– Strong organisational and planning skills
– Strong attention to detail
– Problem solver – ability to identify and resolve issues with speed
– Results focused – focused on proactively delivering value that will directly lead to achievement of business results
– Resilient – comfortable working in a fast-paced environment whilst maintaining a positive and flexible
attitude with an ability to motivate others
– Computer literacy and proficiency with Microsoft Office applications, including Word, Excel, Outlook, etc.
– Numerate and able to cost various landscape operations to order materials required and determine
time allowances for the delivery of operations within the division
– Full, clean driving license
– Customer driven – understands the customer needs that will support delivery of the business strategy
and implements these where appropriate
– Teamwork – demonstrates commitment to teamwork and creates value not only for self but for others.
Focuses on the overall objectives of the team to continuously improve
– Be fully conversant with the UK Health and Safety at Works regulations
- Address Clapham Junction